- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Dense and spreading, the reddish brown-flushed foliage forms neat, cushion-like mounds, which are topped for a long period from early summer, with simple white flowers. The colour of the leaves change according to the temperature, they are more of a chocolate brown in the winter, and a reddish brown, to green in the summer in full sun. The combination of colour and form is quite a fetching one, and this makes it a very attractive (and weed-smothering) groundcover for the front of the border. It also works well in a pot and can be underplanted with spring flowering bulbs, which will extend the season of interest.
- Garden care: In midsummer rejuvenate plants that are beginning to look jaded, by removing old flowered stems and leaves. Lift and divide large colonies in spring.